Throwing a party, packing lunches for the kids or just feel like being a little creative? Well then try these cute healthy snack ideas! There were just so many cute ideas surfacing the internet that I just had to share with you guys. Click on the pictures to take you to the original websites (most of them are no brainers) . Will definitely be using some of these recipes for my up and coming juicing party!
Yes, we all know them. Those people who stuff pizza, ice cream and fried chicken down their mouths, and yet still maintain that slim physique. Damn them and their high metabolism. I know. I say, don’t worry about them and start focusing on YOU. Stop blaming your genetics for your slow metabolism. Although genetics do play a role on the rate of your metabolism, there are still ways to boost your metabolism. So, no excuses ladies and gentlemen.
By definition the metabolism is the “rate at which the body burns calories” and the “process by which the body breaks down food and converts that food to energy.” Everybody has an average number of calories that are burned at rest. For some this number could be high for others this number could be low. However, whatever the number might be, there are a few ways to boost your metabolism throughout the day.
Gain Muscles: The more muscle mass one has, the more calories they will burn throughout the day. In fact muscle burns 3 times the calories as body fat does. So don’t be scared to lift weights ladies.
Never Skip Breakfast: Having a healthy hearty breakfast within the first two hours of waking up will get your metabolism up and running.
Drink 8-12 Cups of Cold Water: Drinking cold water burns about 30 calories with each cup, and since water is a zero calorie beverage this is basically a win win situation.
Drink Green Tea with Caffeine: Drinking green tea with caffeine spikes your metabolism, but only for a short amount of time. If you constantly drink it throughout out the day the benefits are substantial.
Capsaicin Pepper: Adding capsaicin pepper to your meals also boost your metabolism, but like green tea it only boost it for a short amount of time. But hey, what’s the harm in burning some extra amount of calories?
Exercise: Exercising daily keeps you burning calories hours after you’re done with your workout. The best exercises for boosting your metabolism is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
Keep it Cold: When your environment is cold your body has to work to keep your body warm, which burns calories in the process.
Remember you are beautiful no matter what size, shape or form you are! The mission is to get healthy.
Overeating. If you’re a Fitty Fatty like me, you may have this problem too. Almond butter, plantain chips, and popcorn are some of the things I can’t help but overeat. AND IT’S A PROBLEM. I used to think, “hey these things are pretty healthy, it won’t matter if I eat so much.” But newsflash, the calories adds up quick. And the fact is, if you eat more calories than you burn in one day YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT.
Let me break it down for you. Let’s talk about my beloved plantain chips from my beloved Trader Joe’s. This snack from heaven scored a B- on my Fooducate App, praised for it being minimally processed and a natural good source of Vitamin C. One serving (20 chips) is 140 calories, however there are 6 servings in one small bag. Which means if you eat the whole bag you’ve just ate 840 calories. OMG…………….
And I usually eat the entire bag. SO, here are some tips on how to combat your overeating once and for all.
1. ALWAYS READ THE SERVING SIZE. Many times the serving may say 100 calories and you think “OH GREAT” this bag is only 100 calories, when there is really 6 servings in that one bag. So your really eating 600 calories on a freakin’ snack.
2. TAKE OUT THE SERVING SIZE. Once you see the serving size, promptly take out that serving and close the bag. Shoot! Hide that sucker if you need too. You can also use plastic ziplock bags to separate the servings completely, so you can have a easy snack on the go.
3. JUST DON’T BUY SNACKS. It’s hard I know, but instead of buying those addictive snacks (even if they are “healthy”) buy a fruit instead. I’m talkin’ a juicy green apple or sweet mango. Fruits are filling and unprocessed. You can try, but you probably won’t even be able to overeat on fruit.
4. BUY THESE SNACKS INSTEAD. If you totally disregarded the last tip and you made a decision that your still going to buy snacks, at least try these snacks instead. Roasted seaweed, rice cakes, 100 calorie packaged nuts, carrots & hummus, popcorn and one-serving yogurt… I guess the moral of the story is just eat the serving size or buy snacks that only have ONE serving size.
5. COUNT YOUR CALORIES. I didn’t want it to come to this, because I totally despise the idea of counting calories. However, for overeaters this may be the best method. Once you’re actually seeing the calories piling up, you’re not going to want to keep eating. You can use apps like Fooducate or Fitness Pal to calculate it all.
6. DRINK A TON OF WATER. This is a toughie, but drink water constantly throughout the day. If your an overeater drink a cup before you eat, while your eating your meal and after the meal. Your stomach will be so full of water that you won’t even want to eat more. In fact, most people mistake dehydration for hunger.
7. INCORPORATE MORE VEGGIES. There is one food you can always overeat, and that’s veggies! They are so low in calories that it’s almost impossible to really “overeat”. So go crazy with loads of veggies that will keep you well nourished, and hey a little more fruit won’t hurt either. Overall if you’re going to overeat, only overeat your your fruits and veggies. They are tasty too, and most of all good for you!
Signs of Compulsive Overeating from http://buff.ly/1tXzTbY
- binge eating, or eating uncontrollably even when not physically hungry
- eating much more rapidly than normal
- eating alone due to shame and embarrassment
- feelings of guilt due to overeating
- preoccupation with body weight
- depression or mood swings
- awareness that eating patterns are abnormal
- history of weight fluctuations
- withdrawal from activities because of embarrassment about weight
- history of many different unsuccessful diets
- eating little in public, but maintaining a high body weight
- holding the belief that life will be better if they can lose weight
- hiding food in strange places (closets, cabinets, suitcases, under the bed)
- vague or secretive eating patterns
- self-defeating statements after food consumption
- holding the belief that food is their only friend
- weight gain
- loss of sexual desire or promiscuous relations
Feel free to email me at email@example.com if you want to talk about health issues or concerns. I’ll do my best to offer the best advice and steer you to the right people for help. Be happy, be healthy, be freakin’ awesome.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and you shouldn’t miss it just because you’re in a time crunch. Here are a few breakfast ideas that are quick, easy and tasty.
Whole Grain Waffles and Apples
Keep it simple with 100% Whole Grain Waffles. They are 100 calories each and an apple is about 80 calories. Making this breakfast 280 calories. You can buy these frozen waffles at Whole Foods for only $1.99 if you get the 365 brand!
Cheese Eggs Whites & Grits
Grits and egg whites take literally five minutes to make. Mix in peppers, spinach and cheese into egg whites, then layer the eggs on top of the grits. Mix it up and eat! I like to add some green beans on the side.
Oatmeal w/ Fruit & Nuts
Pour some oatmeal in a bowl, pour in a little water and add in some sliced bananas. Then heat up the oatmeal for a minute and thirty seconds. Once its nice and heated add in some fruit and nuts. Wham Bam, you got a great breakfast!
Apples & Peanut Butter
I love some peanut butter with apples. Simple, quick and oh so sweet. It’s like dessert in the morning. You can also use almond butter w/ honey for the dip. It’s my new favorite snack.
Here’s a great source of protein for ya, and low in fat. 0% Fage Greek Yogurt with organic honey, strawberries, almonds and banana slices.
2 Ingredient Pancakes
1 banana & 2 eggs blended and made like pancakes, topped with honey, strawberries and walnuts.
Tomato & Mozzarella Bagel Panini
Toast whole wheat bagel thins for 20 seconds. Add cheese tomatoes and spinach then put it in the oven to broil for a minuter. Smash the thins together and eat.
Egg & Spinach Burrito
Cut a whole wheat tortilla in half and add in your eggs and wrap. Be sure to add some veggies to you eggs to spice it up a bit.
A smoothie is a great way to start your day. This smoothie just contains frozen strawberries, a banana and coconut water. Simple and quick. Mix in the fruits and veggies you like and blend up an energy smoothie, to keep you alert throughout the day.
Almond Milk w/ Walnuts & Fruit
Here we have a bit of almond milk, walnuts, strawberries, blueberries, dried cranberries and blackberries. Mix up the fruits and nuts you like and have a healthy cereal to go! You can even add in some homemade granola.
Bagel Thin w/ Peanut Butter & Fruit
Another one of my go tos, easy peasy.
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
I had a phase where I ate these almost everyday. Two-ingredient recipe here.
With love, Fitty Fatty.
Hello friends. If you guys follow the Fitty Fattys Facebook page, I am always reminding you guys to drink your 8 glasses a day. It is so important to drink water for three key reasons:
1.) It aids in fat loss
Why: Because water is a zero calorie drink. Drinking water instead of juice, milk, etc. saves you a lot of empty calories that your body just doesn’t need. It boost your metabolism, which means that your body is constantly burning calories at a higher rate. Check out my post about why you should avoid juices here.
2.) It helps clear out toxins in your body.
Why: Drinking a lot of water makes you pee a lot! Sorry to be so out there, but it’s true. Through your pee is where your toxins release! LOL I say, keep drinking until your pee is clear… and then drink some more.
3.) Increases Energy
Why: The brain is mostly made up of water. So drinking water helps you think, concentrate better and be more alert. Which means that you’ll have more energy to workout! Or maybe just finish some work.
Other benefits of water include: Clearer skin, digestion, headache relief, joint pains etc… I mean the benefits are endless.
Hopefully I’ve convinced all of you to drink more water, but I know it can be hard to remember to do. So here are five ways to incorporate your 8 glasses of water into your daily routine.
GET A FILTERED WATER BOTTLE: Having a filtered water bottle allows you to keep refilling your bottle anywhere. It helps you save money and keeps water on the tip of your hands throughout the day.
1. Right when you wake up drink a glass of water. This will start up your metabolism and keep you energized throughout the day.
2. Drink water with every meal. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and even snack time. Drinking a cup of water with each meal already knocks off 4 cups of water for your day.
3. Have water close by when you’re working out. There is no doubt that you will be scarfing down water when your in the middle of an intense workout.
4. Take your water bottle with you everywhere! Have it on your desk at work, school EVERYWHERE. Humans have this habit of just eating or drinking whatever is close to them. Sip on it throughout the day, even when you’re not thirsty.
5. If your 8 glasses aren’t fulfilled, drink a glass of water before bed. Getting those toxins out before you sleep is always a good idea. You’ll be ready to release the toxins in the morning, I promise.
And if you just can’t stand the taste of water, you can always add lemon & lime slices, cinnamon, mint etc. The point is to just drink up!
If you follow these tips, you will start to see a change in your body, skin, mind and energy. Just do it! If you have any questions about health or fitness leave a comment below and I’ll be sure to get back to you ASAP!
Oh and follow my Instagram for my daily eats @fittyfattys. Be blessed!
Side Note: During that “time of the month” I have a very bad problem with cramps, constipation and diarrhea. It’s just freaking unbearable, and the only thing that seems to help me is constantly drinking water. Pepto-Bismol has nothing on H20. This is because water helps to produce regular bowel movements. And water also keeps joints lubricated and muscles more elastic, which weakens cramp pains.
Had to save that nasty bit for last. LOL
Subway has always promoted their food to be fresh and healthy. Remember Jared, the guy who lost a ton of weight from sticking to a Subway diet? Now I don’t know if that was a hoax, but the truth is Subway is far from healthy and is definitely not fresh. The meat and bread served at Subway is highly processed and contain unhealthy ingredients such as refined sugars and refined flour… Yeah the stuff that makes you fat. And to touch on the “fresh” part of Subway, well there is none. Their food is pre-made, processed and sent in boxes.
I suggest sticking to the restaurants that cook the food in front of you like Chipotle and Cava. Now, these restaurants truly are fresh and delicious! And as far as health goes, while Subway may seem like a nutritious choice you must realize that the calories, sodium and grams of fat in their sandwiches can be extremely high. My favorite sandwich was the Spicy Italian. That is until I realized that the Spicy Italian foot long calories range from 1,000 to 1,250, with about 2,960 mg of sodium and about 50 grams of fat. Now I’m sure some of you only eat a 6 inch, but geez still look at that sodium intake. And just a little secret, sodium has a lot to do with why people have that stubborn lower belly fat.
IF THAT’S NOT ENOUGH TO GET YOU TO STOP, JUST KEEP READING.
There has recently been an outcry to remove a particular ingredient from Subway sandwich bread. This ingredient is called azodicarbonamide, a dangerous plastic chemical that has been used in the same materials as “yoga mats, shoe rubber and synthetic leather” says Vani Hari, owner and founder of Food Babe. But that’s not the most shocking part. This ingredient is only used in Subways in North America and is actually prohibited in other countries. Azocdicarbonamide is banned in most of European and Australian countries. Someone who uses the chemical for food purposes in Singapore can serve up to 15 years in prison with a $450,000 fine. My question is, what do they know that we don’t?
Azocdicarbonamide is used in flour and bread dough to increase the loaf volume, produce a softer texture, create a finer grain and is also an aging and bleaching ingredient in cereal flour. The FDA says, “Azodicarbonamide is approved in the U. S. as a food additive.” But who can really trust the FDA? Mark Rubi, the former baker and owner of The Lick Skillet Bakery told the Examiner he doesn’t know why this ingredient is used when making bread. He explains “the (only) necessary ingredients in bread are pretty basic . . . flour, water, yeast, and salt for sure. And then maybe add a little olive oil for dough consistency and a little sugar to get the yeast going.” According to the Examiner, the typical bread at fast food chains have 20 or more chemicals on the ingredient list in addition to the main ingredients.
A petition has recently surfaced asking for the chemical to be removed from Subway sandwich bread. Over 78,000 people have signed so far. Concerned citizens have also clouded Subway’s social media in hopes of pressuring them into taking Azodicarbonamide completely out of the ingredients. And the pressure has worked! Subway has announced that they are removing the plastic chemical from their bread. However it has not been done yet. It is important that concerned citizens keep the pressure on until the deed is done. Subway said the decision to take out the chemical had nothing to do with the public pressure. They say it’s just a process to improve the Subway bread. Sure Subway.
Click here to sign the petition to remove this ingredient from Subways’ bread. We must eat REAL food so our bodies can function to top capacity.
As we all know, I love to eat. It’s one of my favorite things to do. I’m that girl who eats and eats until all the food is gone. It’s actually a problem that I’m currently working on. (Well kind of) Anyways when I do, I don’t feel too bad because most of the food I eat are unprocessed whole foods. Nevertheless, it’s still a problem.
I was watching Dr. Oz a while back, and on this particular show he addressed overeating. Basically saying that many people eat when they’re not even hungry. I’m guilty, yes. But Dr. Oz shared a tip that has really helped me figure out if I was “really” hungry. It’s called the apple test. It’s simple.
The Apple Test:
Before you head to the kitchen to crack open a package of Raman Noodles, first stop and ask yourself “If I only had a large apple in my kitchen would I eat it?” If the answer is no, then your’e not really hungry. If the answer is yes, put down those sodium filled Ramen Noodles and eat that apple. LOL Okay it doesn’t have to be an apple, but pick a healthy food.
I use the apple test daily, and it has stopped me from eating my life away. And that’s real.
Don’t mistake thirst for hunger: If you not sure if you are hungry, drink a glass of water first and wait a few minutes. If your still hungry eat up, if not you were probably just thirsty.
Don’t mistake being tired for hunger: I’m no doctor but when I’m tired I crave food. I think this is because my body needs the energy from food to keep me going. However if you’re tired it’s best to just nap or call it a night. But if you don’t have time for that, you know the deal. Grab something healthy and keep it moving.
Try to wait 2-3 hours between meals.
Don’t mistake boredom for hunger: A lot of times we are just bored, so we turn to our favorite thing to do… eat. Let’s get over that ish and instead when we’re bored let’s do something that will make us hot! Work out. Or simply do something that will help you reach your personal goals.
Don’t mistake stress for hunger: Today I was so frustrated to the point of almost crying, and immediately I started craving pizza. Yes, I wanted to eat my sorrows away. Let’s not do that, stress eating brings Tina the Talking Tummy into the picture (and we don’t like her). Anyways I didn’t get the pizza, instead I turned my frustration into appreciation of everything that’s been going right. When you get stressed flip that mess around ASAP! Think positively, live in the moment and then you’ll soon realize that everything is not so bad. It’s going to be okay.
Self Magazine has an online decision tree that can help you find out if you are hungry or not. It will also give you an healthy option for the food you crave. I thought it was pretty cool. Check it out here.